Cognitive Science is the interdisciplinary study of mind and intelligence, bringing together course content from:
Psychology, Linguistics, Artificial Intelligence, Anthropology, Communication Disorders, Neuroscience, and Philosophy.
While available with any undergraduate major, the minor in Cognitive Science is especially appropriate for majors in the fields listed above.
To earn a minor in Cognitive Science, students must complete 15 credits at the 2000-level or above. Foundations of Cognitive Science, COGS 2201 is required, plus four additional courses coming from at least three areas (A through F). No more than two courses may be counted from any one department.
- Cognition: Cognitive Anthropology, ANTH 3250; Artificial Intelligence, CSE 4705; Philosophy of Psychology, PHIL 3247/W, Philosophy of Mind, PHIL 3250/W; Learning, PSYC 2500, Cognitive Psychology, PSYC 2501
- Language: The Science of Linguistics, LING 2010Q; Language and Culture, LING 3610W; Meaning and Truth, PHIL 3241; Psychology of Language, PSYC 3500
- Perception: Philosophy of Perception, PHIL 3256/W; Sensation and Perception, PSYC 3501, Psychology of Consciousness, PSYC 3502
- Development: Developmental Psychology, PSYC 2400; Current Topics in Developmental Psychology, PSYC 3470/W or Speech and Language Acquisition, SLHS 2204; Introduction to Language Disorders in Children, SLHS 4254/W; Language Impairments and Literacy, SLHS 4376
- Neuroscience: Philosophy of Neuroscience, PHIL 3249/W; Biology of the Brain, PNB 3251; Physiological Psychology, PSYC 2200; Neuroscience of Cognitive and Communication Disorders, SLHS 4245W
- Formal Systems: Introduction to Discrete Systems, CSE 2500, Theory of Computation, CSE 3502; Introduction to Computational Linguistics, LING 3000Q; Phonology, LING 3310Q, Semantics, LING 3410Q, Syntax, LING 3511Q; Symbolic Logic, PHIL 2211Q, Symbolic Logic II, PHIL 3214
The minor is offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
For forms relating to adding, changing or dropping majors and minors click here.
Find below the Plans of Study for the Cognitive Science minor. Plans are arranged by catalog year. Your catalog year is the year you declared your first major/minor in CLAS. You may elect to use a Plan of Study from a later catalog year.
When you have completed your plan of study, please send it to the DUS for approval.