IBACS is happy to announce another year of the undergraduate research grant program!
The application period for the Fall 2021/Spring 2022 research grant program opens today, September 1st, 2021, and the deadline for applications will be 11:59 pm on Monday, February 21st, 2022. Note that the academic year applications will now be reviewed on a rolling basis and awards will be made until funds are exhausted, or up until the application deadline. In other words, apply early!
It is expected that applicants will be conducting research with IBACS faculty members, focusing on any research area associated with the IBACS mission. Faculty sponsors will need to supply a letter of recommendation. Once the applicant lists the faculty advisor of the project in the form, an email will be sent to the faculty member with directions for how to submit the letter. Applicants must fill out the online application, and also submit via the online application, a relatively short research plan (maximum of 6,000 characters, approximately 3 pages) and a budget that explains in detail how the funds will be spent. The application link is listed below. It is recommended that the student first compose the research plan and budget using a word processing program, and then upload the final versions on to the website.
THIS PROGRAM IS NOT MEANT TO PROVIDE DIRECT FINANCIAL SUPPORT TO STUDENTS. Instead, it is meant to provide support for the research. The account will be set up with the faculty sponsor after the award is given. The funding is meant to defray the research-related costs such as materials & supplies, minor equipment, software, animal or participant-related costs. The budget should reflect these expenditures.
Recipients cannot apply for another grant within the same academic year, however, are eligible for the summer research grant program, provided that they are still a UConn student at the time. Please note that the application period for the summer research grant program will open on February 21st, 2022, and the deadline for applications will be 11:59 pm on March 14th, 2022.
The IBACS undergraduate award academic year applications are reviewed based on the following criteria:
- The project description is well written and clearly explains the project.
- The project clearly focuses on a research area associated with the IBACS mission.
- The budget is itemized, appropriate to the project described, and reports the total cost of the project (even if it exceeds the funding requested).
- The advisor is familiar with the student’s project and rates the student’s work to date highly.
- Where project applications are equally meritorious, the reviewers will take note of how the student’s project will contribute to the advisor’s research goals.
- The student and his/her project meet the eligibility criteria.
- The student has secured research compliance approval(s) if necessary for the project. No award will be issued until documentation of approval(s) is received.
IBACS Fall 2021/Spring 2022 Application: https://quest.uconn.edu/prog/ibacs_undergraduate_research_grant_-_fall_2021spring_2022