Character Lab is looking for a Research Partnerships Manager. Reporting to the Director of Research Partnerships, they will support Character Lab Research Network’s (CLRN) data management and liaise with both external and internal partners to develop efficient systems for collecting and disseminating research data. They will also prepare and manage communications regarding research projects on the network, ensure project timelines are met, manage Character Lab’s open science initiatives such as coordinating preregistration, and manage Character Lab’s internal research. The Research Partnerships Manager will ensure that data management is running smoothly for our partner school districts and research collaborators. This person will come into a role where they can combine their passion for research and education with their skills in project management and communication.
We are looking for an individual who has hands-on experience with research, data collection and data management. To thrive within our small and dynamic team, the individual must be capable of juggling multiple projects at once, embracing time management, and spotting areas to improve process inefficiencies.
About Character Lab
Founded in 2013 by two educators (Dave Levin and Dominic Randolph) and one scientist (Angela Duckworth), Character Lab is a nonprofit dedicated to advancing scientific insights that help kids thrive. By connecting researchers with educators, Character Lab seeks to create greater knowledge about the conditions that lead to social, emotional, academic, and physical well-being for young people throughout the country. To learn more, go to www.characterlab.org.
Research suggests that character encompasses a multitude of strengths that can be organized into three dimensions: strengths of heart (interpersonal), like gratitude, enable harmonious relationships with other people; strengths of will(intrapersonal), like grit and self-control, enable achievement; and strengths of mind (intellectual), like curiosity, enable independent thinking.
Our culture is both challenging (we’re never done improving) and supportive (one of our core values is excessive generosity). We are a small team working under one roof.
- Liaising between researchers and school district data teams
- Managing external vendor relationships, including an external data processing organization
- Creating operational procedures for data management
- Facilitating the work of top tier scientists
- Ensuring quality communication and strong relationships with researchers
- Coordinating data collections with schools/districts
- Managing IRB protocols and grant proposals
- Manage open science initiatives
- Preparing and managing communications regarding research projects
- Identifying opportunities for increased efficiency
- Maintaining attention to detail and accuracy in all tasks
- Bachelor’s in Psychology, Education, Statistics, Economics or a related social sciences field, Master’s preferred
- 5+ years work experience
- Significant experience in social science research, with a strong passion for education; prior experience working in education a plus but not required
- Prior experience with data management
- Prior experience managing external vendors or consultants a plus
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Proficiency in at least one programming language a plus (Python, Matlab, Stata, C#, and/or R)
- A high level of thoroughness and attention to detail, in order to maintain our high quality of work
- Fierce work ethic and sense of purpose, with the ability to work well as part of a dynamic start-up
- Highly effective interpersonal communication, collaboration, and writing skills
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
Prolonged and irregular hours of duty, as necessary
Some light to medium level of manual labor (e.g., preparing mailings, moving boxes of materials)