The University of Tokyo IRCN Nagai, Yazaki and Tsuji labs are seeking a postdoctoral candidate for the transdisciplinary project “The Development of Social Intelligence”. The goals of this project are to identify the neuronal and biological basis of social effects on learning.
The successful candidate will be involved in developing experiments in songbirds and human infants in interaction with robots, including the recording and analysis of behavioral, auditory, and physiological measures. The candidate will primarily be supervised by Dr. Nagai, and co-supervised by Dr. Yazaki and Dr. Tsuji.
Nagai lab: http://developmental-robotics.jp/en/
Tsuji lab: https://babylab.ircn.jp/en/
Programming skills (Python, C, C++, Matlab)
Experience in conducting either animal, human, or robot experiments
Skills for designing and conducting experiments
Skills in recording and analysis of behavioral, auditory, and physiological data
Good command of English
Project Researcher (Postdoctoral Fellow)
The first contract will be ended on March 31, 2021. The contract is renewable on a fiscal year basis (from April 1 to March 31; every year) according to research budget, research activity, and research achievements.
Contract can be extended for up to 3 years.
Place of Work
International Research Center for Neurointelligence
The University of Tokyo, Institutes for Advanced Study
7-3-1 Hongo Bunkyo-ku Tokyo, 113-0033 JAPAN
*This can be changed due to work circumstances.
● Ph.D. or equivalent in a related field
● Good communication skill in English
● Experiences in computer science, cognitive science, neuroscience, and/or psychology will be preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
● Salary: To be determined in accordance with the University of Tokyo Regulations
● Commuter allowance: JPY55,000 per month at maximum
● Social Insurance: Eligible for MEXT* Mutual Aid Association membership, employees’ pension, employment insurance, and workers’ accident compensation insurance. (*MEXT: Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology)
● Vacation: Annual paid vacation, Sick leave (paid), Special vacation (paid)
Discretionary labor system, based on 7 hours, 45 minutes per day, or 38 hours 45 minutes per week
Saturdays and Sundays; Statutory public holidays of Japan; Year-end and New Year holidays (December 29 through January 3); Summer holidays
Applications and Selection Process
Applications deadline: When the position is filled
● Cover letter in English
● Curriculum vitae in English
● Publication list
● Name and contact address for two references, one of which should be a previous employer
Submission: Interested applicants should send application materials to: yukie#ircn.jp (Please replace # with @ before using this email address) with a subject “Application for Project Researcher in Social Intelligence”.
Selection Process: All applications will be screened, and only those qualified will be scheduled for an interview (on-site or via video).
* Submitted documents will not be returned.
* Travel cost will not be paid in screening process.